Unlike conventional fans, a neck fan can keep you cool when you’re on the go—when a more conventional room fan simply won’t work. True to their name, these portable fans rest around the neck and direct a gentle or vigorous breeze into the face and around the head. Since they use small motors instead of blades, the best neck fans won’t catch hair. These fans run off rechargeable batteries that can last up to 16 hours.
And since portable fans resemble a set of headphones, you can keep cool while looking cool. With so many neck fans on the market, finding the right one can be a challenge. Ahead, learn about the qualities to look for when shopping for a neck fan and find out why the models below are some of the best on the market.
- BEST OVERALL: JisuLife FA14 Bladeless Neck Fan
- RUNNER-UP: Amacool 5,000 mAh Bladeless Neck Fan
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Sweetfull Portable Neck Fan
- UPGRADE PICK: Torras Coolify 2 Neck Air Conditioner
- BEST STYLISH: CIVPower Portable Neck Fan
- BEST COLOR OPTIONS: FrSara Neck Fan
- BEST ADJUSTABLE: Comlife Portable Neck Fan
- BEST AIRFLOW: Shinebella Portable Neck Fan
How We Chose the Best Neck Fans
We researched and evaluated more than 20 neck cooling fan models and scoured neck fan reviews to find the top models for this guide. A neck fan’s purpose is to keep your entire head cool, so we chose models that offer excellent airflow with numerous vents and powerful motors. Since this type of hands-free fan is designed to keep you cool while on the go, we chose models that offer long battery life while still being light enough to feel almost weightless. Battery-operated neck fans shouldn’t cause passersby to gawk at the wearer, so we chose mainly those with sleek designs that resemble high-end headphones so as not to draw unwanted attention.
Our Top Picks
Our list includes the best neck fans, which can run for hours before needing a recharge, keep you cool in the summer heat without putting a cramp in your style, and provide excellent airflow. Any of the fans below will help keep you cool while on the go.
With a long battery life, excellent ventilation, and a streamlined look, this neck fan is one of the best all-around cooling options for your neck. Featuring 78 air outlets, the JisuLife FA14 bladeless neck fan provides ample airflow for the entire face and back of the neck, yet it operates at a quiet noise level of just 25 decibels when set to low speed.
The fan runs off rechargeable 4,000 milliampere hour (mAh) batteries, giving it a long operating life of up to 16 hours. Three running speeds allow you to control the amount of airflow on your neck and face. It also has a sleek look that gives it the appearance of a pair of headphones. The JisuLife portable neck fan comes in five color options.
- Dimensions: 7.76 inches long by 7.8 inches wide by 2.36 inches (deep)
- Running time: 4 to 16 hours
- Weight: 9.1 ounces
- Its 78 air outlets provide ample airflow for the face and neck
- Sleek and stylish look resembles headphones
- Has a long maximum battery life of 16 hours
- Some customers complain that the port charger breaks easily
Get the JisuLife neck fan at Amazon.
With its adjustable design, this bladeless neck fan from Amacool is suitable for necks of all sizes. The neckband adjusts to match different size necks, making it usable for both adults and children. It uses 62 cooling vents and three speed options, including a natural wind mode that varies the fan speed to imitate a breeze.
With its 5,000mAh rechargeable battery, the neck fan will run for between 3 and 9 hours on a single charge, depending on speed mode. It also uses USB-C charging technology, so it will recharge faster than those that use standard USB chargers. The Amacool fan features a stylish rounded design and is available in three colors.
- Dimensions: 7.87 inches long by 6.3 inches wide by 1.97 inches deep
- Running time: 3 to 9 hours
- Weight: 9.7 ounces
- Adjustable neckband design allows to fit necks of all sizes
- Has a sleek look and comes in 3 color options
- Uses a USB-C rapid charger to recharge the batteries
- Some customers complain that it’s noisy at higher fan speeds
Get the Amacool bladeless neck fan at Amazon.
This Sweetfull portable neck fan offers cooling relief at a price that’s much more affordable than other neck fans. Similar to others, it comes equipped with a 5,000mAh rechargeable battery that runs for between 4 and 9 hours per charge, depending on its speed setting. The bladeless fan also uses a USB-C connection for fast charging and has three fan-speed options.
In addition to being more affordable than other neck fans, this budget pick is lighter than most, weighing just 8.6 ounces. Its curved design gives it a very similar look to a pair of headphones, and it comes in six color options.
- Dimensions: 6.8 inches long by 8 inches wide by 2 inches deep
- Running time: 4 to 9 hours
- Weight: 8.6 ounces
- A great value as it costs significantly less than other neck fans
- Lightweight design is more comfortable to wear for long periods
- Rechargeable battery lasts up to 9 hours and uses a fast charger
- Some customers complain that it’s too noisy at higher speed settings
Get the Sweetfull neck fan at Amazon.
Whereas other neck fans cool the wearer down by blowing air across this skin, this cooling neck device actually acts as an air conditioner. It uses two cooling plates that reduce temperature by 27 degrees Fahrenheit in just 1 second. There’s also a fan that blows air across the face. The fan uses a rechargeable 4,000mAh battery that can charge in just under 3 hours and last for up to 18 hours on low-speed fan mode. (For even longer cooling power, a 5,000mAh battery is also available.)
This neck fan also converts the cooling pads to heat pads in cold weather. LED controls allow you to set the neck fan between three fan settings and three heating or cooling settings. The Coolify neck air conditioner uses a clamping design to create a snug fit around the neck, so it fits properly and stays in place while moving.
- Dimensions: 7 inches long by 8 inches wide by 3 inches deep
- Running time: 4 to 18 hours
- Weight: 13 ounces
- Uses cooling plates to reduce temperature by as much as 27 degrees Fahrenheit
- Flex-fit design keeps it snugly in place while moving
- Plates also can provide heat in cold weather
- Much more expensive than other types of neck fans
Get the Torras neck fan at Amazon or Target (5,000mAh battery only).
This portable and rechargeable neck fan features sleek rounded lines and multiple color options, making it a great choice for those who don’t want their neck fan to mar their image. The CIVPower fan comes in nine color options and features chrome highlights, giving it the look of a high-end set of headphones.
The fan has three speed options, including wind speed, which simulates an intermittent breeze. Its 78 vents provide even coverage around the neck and face, while its rechargeable 4,000mAh battery provides between 3 and 16 hours of use. With a weight of just under 9 ounces, this lightweight is comfortable to wear, though it lacks the adjustability of other fans.
- Dimensions: 7.87 inches long by 7.56 inches wide by 2.36 inches deep
- Running time: 3 to 16 hours
- Weight: 8.9 ounces
- Has a sleek, attractive look and comes in multiple color options
- Rechargeable battery has a long running life of up to 16 hours
- Includes 3 fan-speed options plus a wind setting
- Isn’t adjustable to fit different neck sizes
Get the CIVPower neck fan at Amazon.
Those looking to color-coordinate their portable neck fans have plenty of options to choose from with this model from FrSara. With its 15 color options, this fan can match easily with a wearer’s style. Along with its numerous color options, the FrSara fan comes equipped with a large 5,200mAh rechargeable battery, which is enough to run for 4 to 16 hours. The battery also works with a rapid charger for quick recharging.
There are three fan speeds and enough vents to provide a cool breeze around the entire head. While the fan comes with a silicone coating that helps to keep it in place on the neck, it doesn’t offer any adjustability for size.
- Dimensions: 8.8 inches long by 5.7 inches wide by 2.44 inches deep
- Running time: 4 to 16 hours
- Weight: 6.7 ounces
- Comes in more color options than other neck fans
- Large 5,200mAh battery provides up to 16 hours of use on a single charge
- Light overall weight of just 6.7 ounces, so it’s comfortable to wear for long periods
- Doesn’t have any adjustability to fit different neck sizes
Get the FrSara neck fan at Amazon.
Comlife’s bladed fans provide more airflow than bladeless neck fans. Although the fan might not be as sleek looking as other neck fans, its flexible arms allow you to adjust each fan 360 degrees to direct the airflow where you want it to go. Unlike bladeless fans, those with long hair will need to tie their hair back when using this fan to prevent their locks from being sucked into the blades.
This fan can also sit upright on its own when not being worn, doubling for use as a small desktop fan. The fan has three speed options and comes with a rechargeable 2,600mAh battery, which is enough for between 1.5 and 5.5 hours of operation.
- Dimensions: 11.2 inches long 8.1 inches wide by 0.8 inches deep
- Running time: 1.5 to 5.5 hours
- Weight: 6.9 ounces
- Fans can be adjusted 360 degrees, allowing you to direct the airflow
- Can stand up on its own to double in function as a desktop fan
- Bladed design can create more airflow than other neck fan designs
- Not as attractive as other neck fan designs
- Smaller 2,600mAh battery provides less runtime than other neck fans
Get the Comlife neck fan at Amazon.
With its three motors, Shinebella’s hanging neck fan offers more airflow than most neck fans, which generally have only two motors. There are two fans located at the ends of the neckpiece and a third in the back, all of which can be set to three different speed options. That additional fan coupled with the 79 large air outlets provide plenty of airflow for the neck and face.
All three fans are powered by a 4,000mAh rechargeable battery, which provides between 3 and 10 hours of operation and recharges in about 4 hours with a rapid charger. This fan is not adjustable for size.
- Dimensions: 8 inches long by 7.3 inches wide by 2.6 inches deep
- Running time: 3 to 10 hours
- Weight: 8.96 ounces
- 3 motors provide more airflow than other necks fans that only have 2
- Comes with 79 air outlets for maximum coverage of the neck and face
- Recharges in about 4 hours with a rapid charger
- Shorter-than-average runtime compared to other rechargeable neck fans
Get the Shinebella neck fan at Amazon.
What to Consider When Choosing a Neck Fan
Deciding on whether to go with a powerful bladed neck fan or stylish and hair-friendly bladeless model is one factor to keep in mind when shopping for a neck fan. Find out more about these two different types of fans and other factors to consider when shopping for one of these portable neck fans.
Blades vs. Bladeless
Neck fans create airflow by using either bladed fans or a bladeless design that relies on small turbines to move air. Bladed fans provide more airflow than bladeless fans and allow for more adjustability than bladeless models. Since bladed fans consist of two small fans that extend in front of the wearer’s face, they’re more conspicuous than bladeless models, which resemble a pair of headphones. Bladed fans also have the potential to grab onto hair if you’re not careful.
Bladeless fans don’t produce as much airflow, but they have a sleek look that resembles a pair of headphones. Since they use small turbines instead of blades, they don’t present the same hazards to those with long hair.
All neck fans use rechargeable lithium-ion batteries that range in capacity from 2,000mAh to 5,000mAh. The larger the battery, the longer it will last on a single charge. Smaller 2,000mAh batteries typically last between 1.5 and 5 hours, depending on the fan speed used, while larger 4,000mAh and 5,000mAh batteries will last as long as 16 hours on a single charge.
While larger batteries offer longer running time, larger batteries are also typically heavier than lower capacity models, adding more to the overall weight of the neck fan. They also usually take longer to fully recharge.
Noise Level and Fan Speed
Noise can be an important consideration in a neck fan review. Most neck fans have three speed options that allow the wearer to adjust the airflow from low to medium to high. The faster the fan speed, the higher the noise level of the fan. Some fans also have a third wind setting, which varies the fan speed to simulate a breeze.
While cooling neck fans use motors that are very quiet, they still produce some noise when running. Expect the decibel level to range from around 25 decibels at low speeds, which is similar to the sound of a ticking watch, up to about 45 decibels for high fan speeds, which is about the same noise level as a normal conversation.
Below, find out if neck fans present any potential hazards to the wearer, whether it’s safe to sleep with one on, and how long you can expect a rechargeable model to deliver cool air before its battery gives out.
Q. Is it safe to use neck fans?
Neck fans don’t present much of a hazard to people. They use rechargeable batteries that produce a very low electrical current that isn’t capable of shocking the wearer. Neck fan batteries also aren’t powerful enough to create a fire hazard. While bladeless neck fans don’t present a risk to those with long hair, bladed models can entangle hair if you aren’t careful.
Q. How long do neck fans last on average?
How long a portable neck fan lasts before it needs a recharge depends on the size of the battery. Higher end neck fans with larger 4,000mAh or 5,000mAh batteries can last up to 16 hours on a single charge when set to low. Those with smaller 2,000mAh batteries have a battery life of about 5 hours on low.
Q. What is the lightest-weight neck fan?
While most neck fans are fairly light at around 8 or 9 ounces, the Comlife Neck Fan is one of the lightest. This neck fan weighs in at just 6.9 ounces, making it one of the most comfortable neck fans to wear over long periods.
Q. Can I wear a neck fan while sleeping?
Since a neck fan doesn’t present a hazard to you, it’s safe to wear a neck fan while sleeping. It won’t cause an electric shock and since most are bladeless, they won’t hurt you. That said, since fans can circulate pollen and dust, wearing one while sleeping can exacerbate any allergies you have. Even if you don’t have allergies, running the fan at your face for long periods can dry out your sinuses.
Why Trust Bob Vila
Bob Vila has been America’s Handyman since 1979. As the host of beloved and groundbreaking TV series including “This Old House” and “Bob Vila’s Home Again,” he popularized and became synonymous with “do-it-yourself” home improvement.
Over the course of his decades-long career, Bob Vila has helped millions of people build, renovate, repair, and live better each day—a tradition that continues today with expert yet accessible home advice. The Bob Vila team distills need-to-know information into project tutorials, maintenance guides, tool 101s, and more. These home and garden experts then thoroughly research, vet, and recommend products that support homeowners, renters, DIYers, and professionals in their to-do lists.