The 8 Best Water Heater Brands
If it’s time to replace a busted water heater or simply upgrade to something more efficient and energy-conscious, this guide on the best water heater brands will point out what to look for.
Since hot water is one of the best creature comforts of the modern era, it’s important to choose a water tank from one of the best water heater brands. Water heaters quietly heat water to comfortable temperatures, allowing us to wash our hands and kill germs or take soothing baths. They feed hot water to sinks, showers, dishwashers, washing machines, and more. They’re an integral part of a comfortable home.
That’s why it’s so important that a water heater be well-built and from a reputable brand. After all, when they go bad, the whole house suffers. These are the 10 best water heater brands for shoppers to choose from.
About the Brand: American manufacturer of residential and commercial water heaters, boilers, and HVAC equipment.
Price Range: $-$$$
With a focus on sustainability, Rheem’s catchphrase “A Greater Degree of Good” showcases the company’s commitment to innovation, efficiency, and leadership in the eco-friendly space. It’s an American-based manufacturer of residential and commercial water heaters, boilers, and HVAC equipment. The brand has been around for nearly 100 years, first formed in 1925. It offers a wide selection of water heaters, including tank-style and tankless models, offering some of the best-rated water heaters on the market.
- The Rheem Performance 11kW Self-Modulating 2.15 GPM Tankless Electric Water Heater fits under standard sinks and cabinets and can provide enough hot water for 1 shower and 2 faucets at a time. Get the Rheem Performance 2.15 GPM Tankless Electric Water Heater at The Home Depot for $299.00
- The Rheem Performance Hybrid High-Efficiency Smart Tank Electric Water Heater features built-in WiFi that allows users to monitor and adjust settings from their phones. The result is up to $315 in savings per year, and it comes with a 10-year warranty.Get the Performance Platinum 50 Gal. 10-Year Hybrid High-Efficiency Smart Tank Electric Water Heater at The Home Depot for $1699.00
- The Rheem Performance 36,000 BTU Natural Gas Water Heater provides enough hot water for 2 to 4 people at a reasonable price. Get the Rheem Performance 40 Gal. Tall 6-Year 36,000 BTU Natural Gas Tank Water Heater at The Home Depot for $549.00
Shop for more Rheem Water Heaters at:
About the Brand: Rinnai is a Japanese manufacturer of gas appliances, including energy-efficient tankless water heaters and other home heating appliances.
Price Range: $$-$$$
Rinnai is one of the best-known names in tankless water heaters. This Japan-based manufacturer features multiple product lines, including condensing, non-condensing, and hybrid models, allowing customers to find the best hot water heater option for their needs. Rinnai also offers high-efficiency water heaters at mid-range pricing, but also has some higher-end models with super high-efficiency and more features.
- The Rinnai High-Efficiency Exterior Water Heater can be installed in non-traditional spaces like crawl spaces and attics, and it produces up to 6.5 gallons per minute. Get the Rinnai High-Efficiency 6.5 GPM Natural Gas Exterior Water Heater at The Home Depot for 681.74
- Super High Efficiency Plus 11 GPM Residential Water Heater provides unlimited hot water and learns the user’s water usage pattern to schedule efficiency-boosting recirculation, possibly making it the best residential water heater in terms of efficiency and features.Get the Super High Efficiency Plus 11 GPM Residential Water Heater for 2019.60
Shop for more Rinnai Water Heaters at:
3. A.O. Smith
About the Brand: American manufacturer of residential and commercial water heaters and boilers
Price Range: $-$$
A.O. Smith is one of the largest manufacturers of water heaters in North America. It offers a wide range of electric and gas water heaters in both tank and tankless options, as well as combi boilers that heat water and provide space heat from one unit. The brand offers both gas and electric models, offering something for most scenarios.
- A.O. Smith Signature 500 40-Gallons Tall Liquid Propane Water Heater is Energy Star certified and can deliver up to 87 gallons of hot water in the first hour. It’s suitable for households with 3-4 people. Get the A.O. Smith Signature 500 40-Gallons Tall Liquid Propane Water Heater at Lowe’s for $1,156.35
- The A.O. Smith Natural Gas Water Heater provides enough hot water delivery for houses up to 5 or more people, making it a serious consideration for the best tank water heater for a large family—compounded by the fact that it’s Energy Star rated. It can deliver up to 79 gallons of water within the first hour, as well. Get the AO Smith Natural Gas Water Heater at Lowe’s for $1,146.40.
- The A.O. Smith Signature 100 Double Element Electric Water Heater features two 4,500-watt copper heating elements to produce up to 55 gallons of hot water within the first hour, and is suitable for homes with 2 to 3 people. Get the A.O. Smith Signature 100 40-Gallon Double Element Electric Water Heater at Lowe’s for $405.39.
Shop for more A.O. Smith Water Heaters at:
4. Bradford White
About the Brand: American-owned residential, commercial, and industrial manufacturer of water heating, space heating, and combination heater products.
Price Range: $$-$$$
Bradford White is an American- and employee-owned manufacturer of residential, commercial, and industrial water heaters The company offers natural gas, electric, and propane water heaters, as well as tank and tankless options. They’re generally available through plumbing suppliers or contractors, which makes the brand’s available options pretty limited to the consumer.
- The Bradford White 50 Gallon Defender Safety System High-Efficiency Water Heater is a maintenance-free natural-gas model with an intelligent gas control system and features a Hydrojet sediment-reducing device to control sediment in the tank. Get the 50-Gallon 40,000 BTU Defender Safety System High-Efficiency Water Heater at Supply House for $948.99
Shop for more Bradford White Water Heaters at:
5. Stiebel Eltron
About the Brand: Stiebel Eltron is a German-based manufacturer of heating products like water heaters and heat pumps
Price Range: $-$$
Stiebel Eltron is a German-based manufacturer of heating products, specializing in tankless water heaters and heat pumps. The brand offers a wide variety of electric tankless water heaters and mini-tank water heaters, with some electric models being small enough to serve a hand-washing sink only. This could be a big help in simply getting the water up to temperature on an end-of-line sink faster.
- The Stiebel Eltron Tempra 20 is one of the brand’s top models. This electric tankless water heater provides enough hot water for 1 bathroom in cool climates or up to 2 in warm climates, and boasts a 99% efficiency rating. Get the Stiebel Eltron Tempra 20 at The Home Depot for $511,30
- The Stiebel Eltron Tempra 36 Plus is an electric tankless water heater that provides enough hot water for 2-3 bathrooms in cool climates or 3-4 bathrooms where it’s typically warmer. Like other Tempra models, it has a 99% efficiency rating and controls ensure consistent temperatures regardless of flow rate. Get the Stiebel Eltron Tempra 36 Plus at The Home Depot for $849.00
- The Stiebel Eltron Mini-Tank Electric Water Heater fits under most standard cabinets and heats up to 4 gallons in 27 minutes. And, it plugs into a standard 120-volt outlet. Get the Stiebel Eltron Mini-Tank Electric Water Heater at The Home Depot for $249.00
Shop for more Stiebel Eltron Water Heaters at:
About the Brand: Ecosmart is a tankless water heater manufacturer that also manufactures pool and spa parts as well as water boosters.
Price Range: $-$$
Ecosmart US is a privately owned, American manufacturer of water heating products, specializing in tankless water heaters. The brand offers a range of gas and electric-powered water heaters, as well as pool and spa equipment and water booster pumps. Most of the brand’s best hot water heaters are compact and based on the same Eco line, just with larger capacities.
- The Ecosmart Eco 18 can provide up to 4.3 gallons per minute of hot water from a compact, electric model. For those that need more, this line comes in additional sizes up to almost 9 gallons per minute. Get the Ecosmart Eco 18 Tankless Water Heater at The Home Depot for $439.00 (other sizes and prices are available)
Shop for more Ecosmart Water Heaters at:
About the Brand: Bosch is a German-owned manufacturer of tools, appliances, smart home, HVAC, and water heating devices.
Price Range: $-$$$
Bosch is a German-owned manufacturer of many products, including tools, appliances, and HVAC equipment, but it’s also in the running for the best water heater brand. It’s known for its mini-tank and tankless water heaters, both in gas or electric—especially those that run on 120V power. Most models are compact enough to fit under sinks and cabinets to save space as well.
- The Bosch 4-Gal. Mini-Tank Electric Water Heater runs on standard 120V power and is compact enough to fit inside a cabinet or under a sink. It’s 98 percent efficient as well, thanks in part to the highly-insulated tank, making it possibly the best electric water heater for under a sink. Get the Bosch 4-Gal. Mini-Tank Electric Water Heater at The Home Depot for $201.21
- The Bosch 27 kW 240-Volt Whole House Tankless Water Heater can replace a 40-gallon electric water heater, helping save electricity by only running when there is demand for it. Get the Bosch 27 kW 240-Volt 4.0 GPM Whole House Tankless Water Heater at The Home Depot for $981.23.
Shop for more Bosch Water Heaters at:
About the Brand: Takagi is a Japan-based manufacturer specializing in only tankless water heaters.
Price Range: $-$$
Takagi started manufacturing water heaters over 70 years ago, and today deals primarily with contractors and plumbing wholesalers. According to the company, it’s the first tankless water heater company specializing in tankless-only models in North America. Today it offers some of the best gas water heater options, including propane and natural gas water on-demand tankless water heaters.
- The Takagi Series 200 Indoor Water Heater offers enough water for 1 to 2 bathrooms, can be converted from natural gas to propane on site and features a copper heat exchanger for better heat transfer. It’s certainly a consideration for the best gas hot water heater for folks on a budget. Get the Takagi Series 200 Indoor Water Heater at Supply House for $654.99
- The Takagi High-Efficiency Indoor Tankless Water Heater runs on natural gas andis Energy Star qualified and features a commercial-grade copper alloy heat exchanger for more efficient heat transfer. Get the Takagi High-Efficiency Indoor Tankless Water Heater at Supply House for $831.09
- The Takagi Indoor Tankless High-Efficiency Water Heater is Energy Star qualified and offers up to 10 gallons of hot water per minute. It also features a built-in temp controller and diagnostics for easy setting and troubleshooting. Get the Takagi Indoor Tankless High-Efficiency Condensing Water Heater at Supply House for $1234.74.
Shop for more Takagi Water Heaters at:
How We Chose the Best Water Heater Brands
Choosing a water heater is a very important decision to make. It’s a decision that lasts for years, and hopefully those years are full of problem-free hot water. That’s why we took the job of putting together a list of the best water heaters and their manufacturers very seriously. We wanted to ensure that every water heater we suggested was truly a top-notch product.
We performed hours of extensive product research to find the companies we felt we could trust. We went through product reviews, third-party remarks, product and support availability, and more to find the brands we felt were truly top-notch. Then we compared their products to ensure they could meet our criteria. Those that did were given a spot on this list and those that didn’t were removed.