- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Modular Mountain Retreat > Episode 1: Modular Home Construction and Site Preparation
Site Work Preparing for Precast Foundation
Project: Modular Mountain Retreat, Episode 1, Part 3
Simplex Industries is building the home in Scranton, PA. Bob visits the Simplex factory to witness the the prefab process. Pat Fricchione, Jr., owner of Simplex, tells Bob the history of the company, remarking on how the image of modular construction has changed over the years.
While touring the building site, Bob gives an overview of the rustic Berkshires area before joining general contractor Michael Shiels to discuss the foundation prep work that is underway.
- Part 1: Building a Modular Home
- Part 2: A Visit to the Berkshires
- Part 3: Site Work Preparing for Precast Foundation
- Bob teams up with general contractor Michael Shiels to discuss the foundation prep work underway. The home site began as a wedge of raw forest on the side of a hill, but the contractor's team has sliced a shelf out of the hill in order to lay a flat foundation.
The house goes down the assembly line from framing, through wiring and plumbing, all the way to the installation of flooring and priming for paint.
The house is trucked to its pre-fabricated foundations on the lot, and start all the finishing touches that will prove that a modular house doesn't have to be a cookie-cutter affair.
ALL EPISODES IN MODULAR MOUNTAIN RETREAT