- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Modular Mountain Retreat > Episode 5: Assembling a Modular Home
Modular Home Delivery
Project: Modular Mountain Retreat, Episode 5, Part 1
Before being hoisted into position, each box is unwrapped and additional prep work is done. Once the final preparations are complete, the crane operator deftly arranges each box into position.
Dave Boniello and Pat Fricchione from Simplex join Bob on location to tour the house as it comes together, providing additional insight into the process of assembling a modular home.
General Contractor Michael Shiels is also on site to give us a progress report on the assembly process, as well as a briefing on the next steps.
- Part 1: Modular Home Delivery
- Bob meets with Pat Fricchione and Dave Boniello from Simplex Industries to observe the modular home pieces' delivery.
Prior to delivery Simplex Industries scouts the route from the plant to the home site so as to ensure the 15-foot wide sections can be trucked safely. Simplex must also obtain permits or permission from every state they traverse.
On site, a team of skilled workmen secure heavy-duty cables to pick-up points on each section to maintain a uniform weight distribution, preventing the home's frame from twisting or bending.
- Part 2: Tying Together a Modular Home
- Part 3: Installation of the Modular Home's Second Floor
- Part 4: Preparing the Site for Modular Home Delivery
- Part 5: Modular Home Delivery Day Overview
The house goes down the assembly line from framing, through wiring and plumbing, all the way to the installation of flooring and priming for paint.
The house is trucked to its pre-fabricated foundations on the lot, and start all the finishing touches that will prove that a modular house doesn't have to be a cookie-cutter affair.
ALL EPISODES IN MODULAR MOUNTAIN RETREAT