- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Modular Mountain Retreat > Episode 7: Panelized Cedar Shingles, a Metal Roof, and The Mount
Metal Roof Installation Using Crimping
Project: Modular Mountain Retreat, Episode 7, Part 4
Kevin Corcoran from Eglert gives Bob the rundown on the benefits of this environmentally friendly, maintenance-free product. Local roofing contractor Al Smith details the installation process. And finally, Bob visits The Mount in Lenox, MA, the one-time home of author Edith Wharton.
- Part 1: Cedar Shake Shingles and Clapboard Siding
- Part 2: Installing the Metal Roof
- Part 3: Tour of Edith Wharton's Mansion Retreat, The Mount
- Part 4: Metal Roof Installation Using Crimping
- Jeff Smith from Al Smith Gutters demonstrates the installation of a modern metal roof panel. After sliding the panel into place, stainless steel clips are attached, which allow the panel to expand and contract during its thermal cycle while still firmly adhering to the roof underlayment. A hand crimper is used along the entire length of the panel and finally an electric seamer seals the deal.
The house goes down the assembly line from framing, through wiring and plumbing, all the way to the installation of flooring and priming for paint.
The house is trucked to its pre-fabricated foundations on the lot, and start all the finishing touches that will prove that a modular house doesn't have to be a cookie-cutter affair.
ALL EPISODES IN MODULAR MOUNTAIN RETREAT