- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Modular Mountain Retreat > Episode 7: Panelized Cedar Shingles, a Metal Roof, and The Mount
Cedar Shake Shingles and Clapboard Siding
Project: Modular Mountain Retreat, Episode 7, Part 1
Kevin Corcoran from Eglert gives Bob the rundown on the benefits of this environmentally friendly, maintenance-free product. Local roofing contractor Al Smith details the installation process. And finally, Bob visits The Mount in Lenox, MA, the one-time home of author Edith Wharton.
- Part 1: Cedar Shake Shingles and Clapboard Siding
- Bob meets with Michael Shiels to discuss the progress of the construction on the exterior of the modular home. Bob points out some of the features that give this home its custom-built appearance-- Cedar clapboard shingles on the lower half of the elevation, Cedar shake shingles on the upper, and steel roofing.
Ken Clark from Cedar Valley Shingle is on location to demonstrate the installation of the Cedar shake panels, and to explain how the shingles are produced at the factory for quick installation at the home site.
- Part 2: Installing the Metal Roof
- Part 3: Tour of Edith Wharton's Mansion Retreat, The Mount
- Part 4: Metal Roof Installation Using Crimping
The house goes down the assembly line from framing, through wiring and plumbing, all the way to the installation of flooring and priming for paint.
The house is trucked to its pre-fabricated foundations on the lot, and start all the finishing touches that will prove that a modular house doesn't have to be a cookie-cutter affair.
ALL EPISODES IN MODULAR MOUNTAIN RETREAT