- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Modular Mountain Retreat > Episode 8: Direct Vent Heat and Composite Deck Materials
Composite Deck Railing Installation
Project: Modular Mountain Retreat, Episode 8, Part 3
Out on the back deck, Jim Precht and his crew are installing a new Weyerhaeuser ChoiceDek composite deck and railing system. The low-maintenance decking is made from recycled wood and plastic and does not require a stain or finish.
- Part 1: Direct-Vent Fireplace Installation
- Part 2: Composite Deck Installation
- Part 3: Composite Deck Railing Installation
- Bob watches the crew install the deck railing. The composite railing product comes pre-milled to accept all the railing components. Also, the posts are pre-hollowed for wiring, if the homeowner decides to light the deck with post-mounted lamps.
The balustrades and railings are cut to length on-site. Stainless steel screws are used to assemble the pieces. The use of stainless fasteners is an added cost, but given the expected longevity of the deck material, uncoated fasteners would rust long before the deck might need replacing.
The house goes down the assembly line from framing, through wiring and plumbing, all the way to the installation of flooring and priming for paint.
The house is trucked to its pre-fabricated foundations on the lot, and start all the finishing touches that will prove that a modular house doesn't have to be a cookie-cutter affair.
ALL EPISODES IN MODULAR MOUNTAIN RETREAT