- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Modular Mountain Retreat > Episode 10: Berkshires Architecture, Shakespeare & Co., and Structured Wiring
Tour of the Gilded Age Cottages of the Berkshire Hills
Project: Modular Mountain Retreat, Episode 10, Part 2
Before heading to the project site, Bob visits one of the area's artistic centers-- Shakespeare and Company. Director and Founder Tina Packer gives Bob a tour of the grounds and an overview of the company's various theater programs.
Returning to the project house, Bob takes a final tour of the interior. KitchenAid appliances have been installed, as well as Bellawood pre-finished flooring. Woodport interior doors have been hung. Also, Bob reviews how the structured wiring for the house was installed back at the factory in Pennsylvania.
- Part 1: Structured Wiring Explained
- Part 2: Tour of the Gilded Age Cottages of the Berkshire Hills
- Bob tours the Gilded Age cottages in the Berkshire Hills around Lenox, MA. The first is Ventfort Hall, an Elizabethan-style mansion built in 1893 for Sarah Morgan, the sister of J. P. Morgan (recently the backdrop for the movie "Cider House Rules"). This home is now the site of the Museum of the Gilded Age.
Bellefontaine Mansion, built in 1897, is a copy of Louis XIV's Petit Trianon and is now the home of the Canyon Ranch Spa.
- Part 3: Touring Shakespeare & Company in Lenox, MA
The house goes down the assembly line from framing, through wiring and plumbing, all the way to the installation of flooring and priming for paint.
The house is trucked to its pre-fabricated foundations on the lot, and start all the finishing touches that will prove that a modular house doesn't have to be a cookie-cutter affair.
ALL EPISODES IN MODULAR MOUNTAIN RETREAT