- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Modern Colonial > Episode 4: Radiant Heating System and Ductwork
Tour of the Julia Wood House in Falmouth, MA
Project: Modern Colonial, Episode 4, Part 2
A new radiant heating system is being installed in the basement in this episode. Bob and Erling Andersen discuss the features of the "Boiler Room in a Box", a new compact, energy-efficient way to heat your home. Upstairs, Bob gets a look at how HVAC ductwork is assembled and run through the attic to an air handler. Finally, Bob takes a tour of a historic doctor's office in the scaled-down colonial Julia Wood House in Falmouth, MA.
- Part 1: Installing a Preassembled Whole-House Radiant Heating System
- Part 2: Tour of the Julia Wood House in Falmouth, MA
- Bob visits the Julia Wood House, home of the Falmouth, Massachusetts Historical Society, and takes a tour with Carolyn Power, the society's executive director.
The home was built in 1790 for Dr. Francis Wicks. It has an impressive double front porch rooted in Palladian architecture and one of the few authentic widow's walks remaining on Cape Cod. The wallpaper in the center entry hall, while not original to this location, was made in Paris in the late 18th century and brought back to Cape Cod by a sea captain for his young bride. It was later moved to the Julia Wood House when its original home was threatened.
The interior walls are just board partitions with profiles of no more than 2 to 2 1/2 inches. The floors throughout the home are spatter-painted boards, a popular decorative technique that proved very serviceable.
- Part 3: Running HVAC Ductwork, Part 1
- Part 4: Running HVAC Ductwork, Part 2
This project focuses on the construction of a Colonial-style home built with both history and the future in mind. While the 4-bedroom, 4-bath home will have a traditional exterior and interior detailing, the plan will suit the needs of a modern family, including easy-maintenance fireplaces, a great room, master suite, sun room, 3-car garage, and a large walk-out basement with plenty of room for recreation and indoor/outdoor living.
ALL EPISODES IN MODERN COLONIAL