- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Modern Colonial > Episode 9: Wood Floor Installation
Wideboard Hardwood Floor Installation
Project: Modern Colonial, Episode 9, Part 3
On the first floor, Don and Kerry Carlisle from Carlisle Restoration Lumber (a supplier of reclaimed lumber) are on hand to tell Bob about the wide oak flooring that was chosen, and the milling process that goes into a Carlisle board.
Next, Howard Brickman explains different methods of flooring installation before beginning a gluing and nailing process in the kitchen. Moving to the dining room, Howard demonstrates a screwing and plugging technique, as well as the FloorWatch monitor system, which allows you to observe the moisture content of a floor remotely.
- Part 1: Laying Down a Cobblestone Driveway Apron
- Part 2: Traditional Hardwood Flooring from Carlisle
- Part 3: Wideboard Hardwood Floor Installation
- Howard Brickman and crew are on-site laying down the wideboard hardwood that extends throughout most of the first floor.
Because of the home's open floor plan and the unusually generous length of the reclaimed oak floor boards, the crew lays out a starter board that spans each room. The starter board is used as a reference point for the subsequent boards.
Next, a bead of adhesive is applied to the backside of each board, and the individual pieces are laid out and tapped into place. Finally, Howard uses a flooring nailer to fasten the boards into place.
- Part 4: Moisture Content and Vapor Barrier for Wood Floors
ALL EPISODES IN MODERN COLONIAL