- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Modern Colonial > Episode 10: Interior Wall Panels and Flooring
Fabricating and Installing Colonial-Style Wood Wall Panels
Project: Modern Colonial, Episode 10, Part 1
- Part 1: Fabricating and Installing Colonial-Style Wood Wall Panels
- Carpenter Bob Ryley is on location to begin work on a reproduction wood-paneled wall in the modern Colonial home's formal dining area. The wall panels were inspired by a visit to the Winslow Crocker house, a 1790 example of Colonial architecture on Cape Cod. They will be made from knot-free, select grade pine.
After discussing the room's layout and consulting an architectural rendering, Ryley begins to cut, assemble, and dry fit the panel elements. Ryley first mills the vertical trim pieces, called stiles, and the horizontal rails on a router table. Next, a wall panel is milled from three boards which have been glued and clamped overnight.
Finally, Bob and Ryley begin to temporarily assemble the panels on the wall. Once all the pieces of the wall panels have been test fit, final assembly can begin.
- Part 2: Installing Hardwood Flooring with Screws and Plugs
- Part 3: Touring the Tremont Nail Mill
ALL EPISODES IN MODERN COLONIAL