- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Modern Colonial > Episode 10: Interior Wall Panels and Flooring
Installing Hardwood Flooring with Screws and Plugs
Project: Modern Colonial, Episode 10, Part 2
Bob Ryley is installing a paneling system in the dining room that was modeled after the Winslow-Crocker home in Yarmouthport, MA. Howard Brickman is putting the finishing touches on the floor before joining Bob at the site of a sister project. Also, a new Carlisle Eastern White Pine floor is being installed in an upstairs bedroom to give it an antique feel. All the while, Howard is using cut nails from the Tremont Nail factory, which Bob tours.
- Part 1: Fabricating and Installing Colonial-Style Wood Wall Panels
- Part 2: Installing Hardwood Flooring with Screws and Plugs
- Wood floor expert Howard Brickman is on the job site installing White Oak hardwood floors from Carlisle Restoration Lumber. Instead of blind nailing the floors to conceal the fasteners, Brickman is using a screw-and-plug method.
After locating the joists beneath the subfloor, the floorboards are pre-drilled about halfway through their thickness. Flooring screws are then driven into the pre-drilled holes in the floor, passing through the subfloor and into the joists. The result is a very secure installation.
Finally, plugs, which were made from scrap flooring pieces, are inserted into the holes to conceal the screw heads. The plugs are tapped into place with a hammer, then cut flush with the finish floor using a Japanese-style pull saw.
- Part 3: Touring the Tremont Nail Mill
This project focuses on the construction of a Colonial-style home built with both history and the future in mind. While the 4-bedroom, 4-bath home will have a traditional exterior and interior detailing, the plan will suit the needs of a modern family, including easy-maintenance fireplaces, a great room, master suite, sun room, 3-car garage, and a large walk-out basement with plenty of room for recreation and indoor/outdoor living.
ALL EPISODES IN MODERN COLONIAL