- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Modern Colonial > Episode 11: Interior Door Installation and Plan Modifications
Shimming, Centering, and Hanging a Door
Project: Modern Colonial, Episode 11, Part 3
Upstairs, Bob Ryley is hard at work in the master bedroom, beginning with a door installation leading into the master bathroom. Jim Daniels from Woodport is on hand to discuss the features of the door with Bob. Finally, Ryley works on trimming out the doorframe and windows.
- Part 1: Custom Home Design Using Computer Software
- Part 2: Hanging an Engineered Wood Six-Panel Door
- Part 3: Shimming, Centering, and Hanging a Door
- After roughing the door into place, Ryley checks to make sure it is centered and temporarily secures it using plywood blocks. Next, he checks the margin around the perimeter of the door to make sure each side is even. Shims are added to each side to create a solid wood backing between the jamb and the studs that frame the door opening. Final adjustments are made with the door closed; the last shim is installed at the striker plate before the door is permanently secured to the framing.
- Part 4: Installing Interior Window Casings and Sill
ALL EPISODES IN MODERN COLONIAL