- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Modern Colonial > Episode 21: Wood Floor Finishing
Finishing a Wood Floor
Project: Modern Colonial, Episode 21, Part 3
Flooring specialist Howard Brickman joins Bob to sand old growth white oak floors and demonstrate his techniques for achieving a smooth, even finish. He uses a variety of sanders and buffers before finally applying several coats of Tung Oil. At the sister project, Brickman tackles the pine floor in the master bedroom. Offsite, Bob tours the Hancock Land Company's sustainable forestry operation in Casco, ME, with noted environmentalist Patrick Moore and learns how they balance their harvesting operation in order to keep the forests healthy.
- Part 1: Sanding Wood Floors
- Part 2: Touring the Hancock Land Company Sustainable Forestry Operation
- Part 3: Finishing a Wood Floor
- Howard Brickman has begun sanding the old growth Eastern white pine floor in the bedroom of the modern Colonial. Next, Bob and Brickman head back to the sunroom. Before applying the finish, Brickman smoothes the edges of the room with a hand scraper and palm sander. After that, he runs a floor polisher over the surface and then vacuums. Finally, Brickman applies Tung oil to the corners with a hand sponge, using a roller on the rest of the floor.
This project focuses on the construction of a Colonial-style home built with both history and the future in mind. While the 4-bedroom, 4-bath home will have a traditional exterior and interior detailing, the plan will suit the needs of a modern family, including easy-maintenance fireplaces, a great room, master suite, sun room, 3-car garage, and a large walk-out basement with plenty of room for recreation and indoor/outdoor living.
ALL EPISODES IN MODERN COLONIAL
MOST POPULAR CLIPS
HOUSE & GARDEN TOURS
More From Bob Vila