- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Modern Colonial > Episode 25: Appliance Installation and Furniture Making
Hand-Carving a Mahogany Drawer Front
Project: Modern Colonial, Episode 25, Part 4
Bob takes a quick look at the completed murals and stencils from MB Historic Decor. Plus, plumbing contractor Dave DuVerger is on location to install the washer and dryer and the shower hardware. Bob Ryley is also on-site, installing a new Robern medicine cabinet in one of the upstairs bathrooms.
Bob visits the North Bennet Street School in Boston to learn more about decorative arts and the school's furniture-making program. Back at the project house, North Bennet student and furniture maker Thomas MacDonald is in the workshop demonstrating how he creates furniture details.
- Part 1: Moving Appliances Without Damaging Wood Floors
- Part 2: Installing Plumbing Loop and Fixtures for Multiple-Head Shower
- Part 3: Furniture Making at the North Bennet Street School
- Part 4: Hand-Carving a Mahogany Drawer Front
- Tommy MacDonald demonstrates a few of the techniques he employs to create hand-carved furniture details. MacDonald lines up the grain of the mahogany and securely fastens the wood to a worktable. After sketching a pattern onto the work piece (in this case a seashell pattern) he uses an assortment of hand tools to shape, refine, and finish the pattern.
ALL EPISODES IN MODERN COLONIAL