- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Manhattan Remodel and Cape Cod Affordable > Episode 13: Installing Pre-Hung Doors, Hardwood Floors, and Gutters
Installing a Therma-Tru Pre-Hung Door
Project: Manhattan Remodel and Cape Cod Affordable, Episode 13, Part 1
- Part 1: Installing a Therma-Tru Pre-Hung Door
- Bob is joined by Michael McDevitt of Therma-Tru Doors as Wes Lohr and his crew prepare for the installation of the pre-hung exterior door. Lohr has created a lead pan at the entry that laps up the sides and down the front of the opening and is then covered in silicon to make a weatherproof seal with the door assembly. The door itself has pressure-molded fiberglass skins with raised panels on the interior and exterior faces. These skins sit over a high-density polyurethane core with wood blocks at the lock set, sides, top, and bottom of the door for custom fitting and improved strength. The door is pre-hung and secured to keep it square until installed. To properly install a pre-hung door, the door assembly must be screwed into the jamb, not the casing, since only the jamb is structural and can prevent the door from sagging. Lohr and his crew tack the door into the opening, check it for square, then open it and screw it into place, through the jambs. Therma-Tru leaves two pre-drilled screw holes at the top of the door to screw it into the top jamb and prevent the door from sagging in. Once in place, the door only needs one coat of latex paint.
- Part 2: Discussing the Bellawood Maple Hardwood Floor
- Part 3: LeafGuard Gutters Installed
- Part 4: Pre-Hung Affordable Doors and Installing Pre-Primed Wood Molding
At the same time, Bob works with a Cape Cod developer to apply Massachusetts land use statute 40B to create affordable housing, and a neighborhood of homes in Mashpee, MA. These Energy Star certified homes show how quality building practices and reasonable asking prices can work together to provide livable, affordable homes and neighborhoods to those who work in our communities.
ALL EPISODES IN MANHATTAN REMODEL AND CAPE COD AFFORDABLE