- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Habitat for Humanity > Episode 3: Working on the Roof
Setting the Glulam Ridge Beam and Structural Insulated Roof Panels
Project: Habitat for Humanity, Episode 3, Part 3
The blitz build continues, and the roof framing begins. Bob meets with Lise LaFrance of the Engineered Wood Association, APA, to talk about the different engineered lumber products, including i-joists, being used on the house. Also, Bob tours the Willamette plant in Oregon where the i-joists are made. Back in Yonkers, Steve Thompson (from Habitat) leads the volunteers in raising the giant ridge beam. Carpenter Bob Ryley and Bob talk through the framing process and report on the progress of the house so far.
- Part 1: Installing the Engineered Wood Flooring System
- Part 2: Manufacturing the Engineered Wood Floor Joists
- Part 3: Setting the Glulam Ridge Beam and Structural Insulated Roof Panels
- Bob confers with carpenter Bob Ryley and Steve Thompson (from Premier Wall Systems), as workers set the glulam for the roof ridge and, assisted by a crane, put down the roof panel system.
Bob Vila introduces the latest in sustainable materials and efficient building techniques on a Habitat for Humanity build. This project documents a five-day process that transformed an empty lot into a snug, comfortable, and sustainable home in Yonkers, NY.
ALL EPISODES IN HABITAT FOR HUMANITY
MOST POPULAR CLIPS
HOUSE & GARDEN TOURS
More From Bob Vila