- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Habitat for Humanity > Episode 5: Sheathing and Shingling the Roof
Photovoltaic Roofing Shingles Installed
Project: Habitat for Humanity, Episode 5, Part 2
- Part 1: Installing Dimensional Asphalt Shingles
- Part 2: Photovoltaic Roofing Shingles Installed
- Bob talks with Deane Evans of the Partnership for Advancing Technology in Housing (PATH) about the photovoltaic roof shingles. This new product from United Solar Systems, called the Solar Shingle, generates electricity at the same time that it does the job of a normal shingle, protecting the house from the weather.
Ren Anderson from the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) shows Bob how to nail the solar shingles on the roof, just like conventional three-tab roofing. Here, eight solar shingles are blended into the conventional fiberglass shingles to provide about 120 watts for charging battery-operated tools and children's toys in the shed below.
Ren hooks up the wires leading from the shingles to the other system components, which include a fuse, a voltage regulator, and an inverter (which converts the direct current from the shingles into an alternating current that can be used by typical household appliances).
- Part 3: Manufacturing Photovoltaic Devices at the Global Solar Factory
ALL EPISODES IN HABITAT FOR HUMANITY