- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Dream Garage and Boat Storage > Episode 5: Framing and Decking
Cutting Joists Using 17th-Century Techniques
Project: Dream Garage and Boat Storage, Episode 5, Part 3
Post-and-beam framing continues on the barn project: carpenter Bob Ryley puts new decking on the loft area; the ridge beam and rafters go up; and a specialist in 17th-century joinery comes from nearby Plimoth Plantation to offer a look at how the Pilgrims framed their houses. Bob takes a trip to Veneta, OR to tour the Willamette plant, where the engineered lumber used in the barn framing is manufactured.
- Part 1: Placing the Engineered Wood Glulam Roof Ridge Beam
- Part 2: Discussing the Manufacture of Glulams
- Part 3: Cutting Joists Using 17th-Century Techniques
- Bob heads to Plimouth Plantation in Plymouth, MA, where artisan-carpenter Pret Woodburn shows Bob how mortise-and-tenon joinery was cut back in the 17th- and 18th-centuries.
This innovative and functional post-and-beam barn structure is designed to provide space to store, and perform work on, boats and cars. Bob Vila takes us through the story,which centers around creating a state-of-the-art, ergonomically efficient, well-lit, and safe environment.
ALL EPISODES IN DREAM GARAGE AND BOAT STORAGE
MOST POPULAR CLIPS
HOUSE & GARDEN TOURS
More From Bob Vila