- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Victorian Kitchen & Bath Remodel > Episode 6: Cedar Decking and Copper Roofing
Restoring Old Windows
Project: Victorian Kitchen & Bath Remodel, Episode 6, Part 3
With the retaining walls and structural deck complete, the contractor Tim Berky and his crew undertake the decking with western red cedar. Paul Mackie (from the Western Red Cedar Lumber Association) joins Bob to talk about the beauty, sustainability, durability, and natural insect- and rot-resistance of western red cedar. On the roof, Rich Melo of Newton Roofing Company installs the Atlas standing-seam copper roof, showing Bob how the prefabricated Dutch-cleat system interlocks and attaches to galvanized fasteners screwed into the roof. Inside, RestorationWindows.com refurbishes the old windows with solid-bronze sash chains, new parting beads, and spring-bronze weather stripping for energy-efficient, easily operable windows at a quarter of the cost of replacements. Outside, Berky finishes the oriel window with weather-tight facing and mitered trim.
- Part 1: Building a Western Red Cedar Deck
- Part 2: Installing a Standing-Seam Copper Roof
- Part 3: Restoring Old Windows
- Ryan Pirro (from RestorationWindows.com) discusses refurbishing old windows with new solid-bronze sash chains, parting beads, and spring-bronze weather stripping for energy-efficient, easy-operation windows at one-fourth the cost of replacements.
- Part 4: Completing the Trim on the Oriel Window
Bob Vila undertakes the partial remodel of a historic Victorian home in Rowley, MA. The house is a classic New England gem with many partitioned rooms, plus the added appeal of a large yard with preserved wetlands beyond. From permits and approvals to the addition of a mudroom and deck, this project focuses on family space.
ALL EPISODES IN VICTORIAN KITCHEN & BATH REMODEL
MOST POPULAR CLIPS
HOUSE & GARDEN TOURS
More From Bob Vila