- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Bob's Shingle Style Home > Episode 10: Heating and Cooling Systems
Installing Electrical Wiring in an Old Home
Project: Bob's Shingle Style Home, Episode 10, Part 3
An elaborate and highly efficient HVAC system is installed in the basement and Bob checks out his new system 2000 unit and air handler. Radiant heat is installed in the bathroom floor and the electrical inspector is on site to approve the work that’s been done so far.
- Part 1: Reviewing the High-Efficiency HVAC System
- Part 2: Reviewing the Boiler Pipes and Bathroom In-Floor Radiant Heat
- Part 3: Installing Electrical Wiring in an Old Home
- Bob meets up with electrician Barry Driscoll, who is wiring a third-floor subpanel. The panel feeds air handlers, bedrooms, bathrooms, and an entertainment area. When the house was built in 1892, gas was used for lighting. Electricity was not used in the home until the 1920s. An electrical inspector from Cambridge, MA, looks at the subpanel for adequate size and proper location.
This project centers around the remodel of Bob Vila's own gracious Shingle Style home in Cambridge, MA. It's a house with a lot of history and beautiful architectural details, many of which were obliterated in remodels of the 50s and the 70s. On the centennial of the house's construction, Bob gets together the best talents in the business to recreate and renew it to its former glory, making some important modifications along the way that will transform this into a dream house for today.
ALL EPISODES IN BOB'S SHINGLE STYLE HOME
Episode 17 - Prepping to Paint the Exterior, Touring a Custom Cabinet Factory, Installing Kitchen Cabinets
Episode 19 - Discussing Landscaping Plans, Touring a Tile Showroom, and Installing Tile in the Bathroom