- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Bob's Shingle Style Home > Episode 11: Blueboard and Plastering Are Underway
Placing Windows on a Home's Facade
Project: Bob's Shingle Style Home, Episode 11, Part 1
Blue board and plastering are underway, and Bob gets quick tips from the pros on how to make the job go more smoothly. Ryley and Danny install a huge double window to let the sunlight pour into the new kitchen, and Bob takes us to Stockbridge, MA, to tour Naumkeag, a wonderful example of the grand Shingle Style by Stanford White.
- Part 1: Placing Windows on a Home's Facade
- Bob discusses "fenestration," which is the arrangement of openings—windows and doors—in a building, and then meets with carpenter Bob Ryley to install a Marvin thermopane window with true divided lights (TDL). To let in a lot of sunlight, a double window will be installed in the kitchen, which will give a view of the backyard. Bob notes the structural work that must happen before such a big opening is created. Ryley explains the window installation process, noting the flush casing and sheathing. Lastly, molding is applied to the casing for a finished look.
- Part 2: Touring the Shingle Style Naumkeag Historic House
- Part 3: Applying a Veneer Coat of Plaster over Blueboard
This project centers around the remodel of Bob Vila's own gracious Shingle Style home in Cambridge, MA. It's a house with a lot of history and beautiful architectural details, many of which were obliterated in remodels of the 50s and the 70s. On the centennial of the house's construction, Bob gets together the best talents in the business to recreate and renew it to its former glory, making some important modifications along the way that will transform this into a dream house for today.
ALL EPISODES IN BOB'S SHINGLE STYLE HOME
Episode 17 - Prepping to Paint the Exterior, Touring a Custom Cabinet Factory, Installing Kitchen Cabinets
Episode 19 - Discussing Landscaping Plans, Touring a Tile Showroom, and Installing Tile in the Bathroom