- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Bob's Shingle Style Home > Episode 12: Digging a Trench, Touring Historic Gardens, and Trimming the Interior
Hanging Old Doors, Installing New Door Trim, and Outfitting the Windows
Project: Bob's Shingle Style Home, Episode 12, Part 3
Bob returns to the Stockbridge, MA landmark home Naumkeag for a tour of the elaborate gardens. On the third floor, we’re ready for some interior trim with Ryley. Outside, a trench is dug for the new water service from the city main into the house.
- Part 1: Excavating to Install a New Waterline
- Part 2: Touring the Naumkeag Historic House Gardens
- Part 3: Hanging Old Doors, Installing New Door Trim, and Outfitting the Windows
- Bob reviews the prior decisions that have been made about what to restore versus replace. He conducts an archeological walk through parts of the house where we see ghosts of old chair railing and molding. Bob meets up with carpenter Bob Ryley on the third floor to re-hang the stripped old doors and install the new trim. Elaborate care is taken with the windows. Some of the 100-year-old carpentry work has been saved and will be reused.
This project centers around the remodel of Bob Vila's own gracious Shingle Style home in Cambridge, MA. It's a house with a lot of history and beautiful architectural details, many of which were obliterated in remodels of the 50s and the 70s. On the centennial of the house's construction, Bob gets together the best talents in the business to recreate and renew it to its former glory, making some important modifications along the way that will transform this into a dream house for today.
ALL EPISODES IN BOB'S SHINGLE STYLE HOME
Episode 17 - Prepping to Paint the Exterior, Touring a Custom Cabinet Factory, Installing Kitchen Cabinets
Episode 19 - Discussing Landscaping Plans, Touring a Tile Showroom, and Installing Tile in the Bathroom