- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Bob's Shingle Style Home > Episode 17: Prepping to Paint the Exterior, Touring a Custom Cabinet Factory, Installing Kitchen Cabinets
Restoring Old Double-Hung Windows using Spring-Loaded Balances
Project: Bob's Shingle Style Home, Episode 17, Part 3
With the decision made on what color to paint the house, bob takes a look at the prep involved on the exterior. Danny’s restoring some old windows using springloaded balances. We take a trip to New Holland, Pennsylvania, to the Heritage cabinet factory, then back at the site, Bob’s beautiful new cabinets are installed in the kitchen.
- Part 1: Pressure Washing the House, Prepping for Painting, and Beginning Kitchen Cabinet Installation
- Part 2: Touring a Custom Cabinetry Factory and Reviewing Plans for the Kitchen
- Part 3: Restoring Old Double-Hung Windows using Spring-Loaded Balances
- Bob discusses the advantages and disadvantages of old windows, such as the glimmer glass that is beautiful but has significant energy loss, comparable to leaving the front door open. Bob meets with architect Gregory Rochlin and expert carpenter Danny Ruffini to restore old double-hung windows and replace lead sash weights with new spring-loaded balances.
This project centers around the remodel of Bob Vila's own gracious Shingle Style home in Cambridge, MA. It's a house with a lot of history and beautiful architectural details, many of which were obliterated in remodels of the 50s and the 70s. On the centennial of the house's construction, Bob gets together the best talents in the business to recreate and renew it to its former glory, making some important modifications along the way that will transform this into a dream house for today.
ALL EPISODES IN BOB'S SHINGLE STYLE HOME
Episode 17 - Prepping to Paint the Exterior, Touring a Custom Cabinet Factory, Installing Kitchen Cabinets
Episode 19 - Discussing Landscaping Plans, Touring a Tile Showroom, and Installing Tile in the Bathroom