- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Bob's Shingle Style Home > Episode 22: Installing Built-in Bookshelves, Lighting, Security, and Communication Systems
Reconstructing the Stair Rail and Balusters
Project: Bob's Shingle Style Home, Episode 22, Part 2
The library’s getting a new set of built-in bookshelves, and the alarm and phone systems are installed. The electrician refurbishes a period light fixture for use in the kitchen and installs a new, state-of-the-art Lightolier dimmer switch system. Ryley helps reconstruct the stairway balustrade that was disassembled for stripping.
- Part 1: Retrofitting a Gas Light
- Part 2: Reconstructing the Stair Rail and Balusters
- Bob and carpenter Bob Ryley begin to reassemble the stair rail and balusters. Ryley demonstrates the various fastening and plugging techniques. Jim Shiels works on another part of the staircase, putting back each spindle in the correct slot. Bob comments that the staircase is one of the nicest details in the house.
- Part 3: Installing Carpet on the Third Floor and Bathroom Tile
This project centers around the remodel of Bob Vila's own gracious Shingle Style home in Cambridge, MA. It's a house with a lot of history and beautiful architectural details, many of which were obliterated in remodels of the 50s and the 70s. On the centennial of the house's construction, Bob gets together the best talents in the business to recreate and renew it to its former glory, making some important modifications along the way that will transform this into a dream house for today.
ALL EPISODES IN BOB'S SHINGLE STYLE HOME
Episode 17 - Prepping to Paint the Exterior, Touring a Custom Cabinet Factory, Installing Kitchen Cabinets
Episode 19 - Discussing Landscaping Plans, Touring a Tile Showroom, and Installing Tile in the Bathroom