- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Waterfront Warehouse Rehab > Episode 11: Roof Deck and High-Tech Bathroom Features
Building the Roof Deck With Ipe
Project: Waterfront Warehouse Rehab, Episode 11, Part 4
With the toilet in place, the installation of the marble sink top and Toto USA vanity is next. Also in the bathroom is a Toto USA Baldwin Suite soaking tub that's been set into a custom-built stainless steel surround.
As the bathroom takes shape, Bob heads to famed Coney Island with Borough President Marty Markowitz to get a closer look at this historic section of Brooklyn.
Back on location, Bob takes a quick look at the progress being made on the roof deck.
- Part 1: Toto Low-Flow Toilet
- Part 2: Antique-Look Bathroom Sink, Soaking Tub, and Quartz Tile Installation
- Part 3: Touring Coney Island
- Part 4: Building the Roof Deck With Ipe
- Bob watches the ongoing installation of the roof deck, which is being built woth a sustainable tropical hardwood decking called Ipe.
The wood is so hard that conventional nailing is impossible. Contractors must first drill a hole through the decking into the pressure-treated support structure. Next, coated exterior screws are countersunk to secure the decking.
The joists for the decking are pressure treated and shimmed with Cedar, and the deck is stepped onto two levels, allowing a slope.
ALL EPISODES IN WATERFRONT WAREHOUSE REHAB