Hi, we got a new over the range microwave and when my husband was drilling a hole for one of the screws to hang the microwave he accidentally slightly damaged an electrical wire behind the wall. He noticed it when he was manually threading the screw to see if it fit and he got schocked. He opened the drywall to see the damage and it was only a very small tear on the insulation that wraps the inside wires. You could see the metal wire,it was about the size of a pin head, no more. We wrapped that part with a 3M black electrical tape and proceeded to closed the drywall and installed our microwave. The wall is brick and concrete and the drywall is a very thick one.
We want now to know if we did the right thing or we should have replaced the whole wire. Thanks for your replies.
By rights the wire should have either been replaced or an accessible box installed at that point. Nobody is going to tell you otherwise. What you did will probably be OK but it isn't right. What does that wire give power to?
I work for a Sydney lighting maintenance company, and we see some crazy stuff behind the scenes. Admittedly you have insulated the wire appropriately as it is your home but it would be terrible practice if you were a tradesmen, but that doesn't mean you won't see it being done. At least you did not use chewing gum. It is not a moist environment behind there is it? Has there been any other electrical issues since in your house?