Getting ready to paint after fake brick tear off.
We've removed the fake brick from the exterior of our 1920's house, and let is sit for a year. The siding underneath, though in excellent condition overall, has a blackish/grey film all over it, with the parts least in the sun, and easiest to collect water being the darkest. I think it's mildew, and possibly creosote residue from the backing of the fake brick. (3' x 4' sheets on particle board) My father in-law thinks it's just dirt. Pressure washing doesn't remove it all, but scrubbing the surface with bleach and water does, but you have to scrub quite a bit. I want to know if it's necessary to scrub the entire house, or if pressure washing is "good enough".
The next question is... there are only 2 coats of paint there, and where it chips off it's down to the bare wood. I think we need to use an oil based primer and a latex paint over that. He thinks we should use latex primer because it breathes, and that you have to use latex primer with latex paint, and oil paint over oil primer. I would like some advice, especially if any of you have painted after fake brick!!!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!