Three months ago I moved into a new home that has a Bilco door and pre-cast stairs leading to the basement. Whenever it rains moderate to heavy I get a lot of water in the basement from where the stairs meet the foundation. It comes down from the top but also up from the bottom by the threshold. I feel that the footing drain is not working properly. The builder wants to install a sump pump in my basement, but I feel this is only a bandaid and will not correct the problem. He tells me that the footing drain cannot handle the amount of water, so a sump pump is necessary. I am in the process of finishing most of my basement and cannot afford to have water down there.
My backyard is pitched towards the house and there is a lot of rock under the soil. I already have a drainage problem there to contend with. The builder built a retaining wall and paver block patio, but I think the water is still finding its way to the house. What do you think of the sump pump idea? Do you think the builder should dig around the foundation and correct the problem, or is there another way of attacking the problem?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes