Three months ago I moved into a new home that has a Bilco door and pre-cast stairs leading to the basement. Whenever it rains moderate to heavy I get a lot of water in the basement from where the stairs meet the foundation. It comes down from the top but also up from the bottom by the threshold. I feel that the footing drain is not working properly. The builder wants to install a sump pump in my basement, but I feel this is only a bandaid and will not correct the problem. He tells me that the footing drain cannot handle the amount of water, so a sump pump is necessary. I am in the process of finishing most of my basement and cannot afford to have water down there.
My backyard is pitched towards the house and there is a lot of rock under the soil. I already have a drainage problem there to contend with. The builder built a retaining wall and paver block patio, but I think the water is still finding its way to the house. What do you think of the sump pump idea? Do you think the builder should dig around the foundation and correct the problem, or is there another way of attacking the problem?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!