lowering basement floor?
I have a 1908 house in Minnesota with a ridiculously bumpy concrete slab in the basement. Some bumps are probably about 3 inches higher than other sections of the floor. The concrete is about 1-2 inches thick, has broken away and exposed dirt in some and some patches apparently were poured at different times. Very scary.
I’d like to rip out the existing surface, lower the 29X29-foot floor by excavation (doing the work myself, if possible), level it all off and pour a new, smooth concrete surface. In short, I’d like turn this dungeon into a finished space with 6-12 inches more head room.
Can I do this without causing any structural problems? Will lowering the floor pose risks to the existing walls or chimney?
Thanks for any advice.
Have you figured out how you're going to remove the concrete and soil out of the basement? Where are you going to dispose of the stuff?
When you install the new floor, make sure to install a water barrier, 3" or more of compacted gravel then 3" or more concrete.
As for disposal, I was thinking of renting a dumpster.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 12 Celebrities' Cool Pools
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Colorful Kitchens: 10 Bright & Bold Designs