I have a house that was built somewhere in the 60's. I purchased the house (cape cod, unfinished attic and basement) last year after it was abandoned and someone renovated the major items. Replaced before I purchased the house: roof, all windows, electrical, furnace (not the duct work), hardwood floors.
After I purchased the house, I ripped down a few walls, added crown molding throughout, high hats in a few rooms, added additional outlets, had the duct work cleaned and a microbial spray and painted the entire first floor (all walls and ceilings, trim, etc...)
Currently my attic is not insulated, which I am in the process of pulling out the t&g flooring, vacuuming between the floor joists, installing R-19 (2X6 framing) and putting down 3/4" plywood.
Now my issue, the house is VERY dusty. I have a cleaning person who comes in and cleans the house (900 sf), and the next day you can see dust on all the wood furniture. My attempts to resolve the problem, as noted above, the ducts were cleaned, I have vacuumed the entire basement three times, I have replaced the four return ducts and replace the HVAC filter (merv 10) every month. I went as far as covering the return grills with a cheap oversized filter in each room and within a few weeks it was dark gray from the dust.
As far as I can see, the ducts down stairs are all sealed with no leaks. I am at my wits end, and am looking for any suggestions.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!