We're starting to remodel our exposed basement. Originally we put in an extra garage door with slanted cement flooring to drain away. Well, now we intend to take out the garage door and put in an atrium/french door to let in more light. How do we level the existing floor? Do we pour concrete over concrete or build a wood subflooring? Thanks for any ideas!
I am putting in a new bathroom in the basement and where the rough in was placed it wasn't quit level. I could take a 2x4 or my 4ft level and it would rock. what I found out was that theymake leveling cement which pours like a really thin milkshake and finds it's own level. Worked great for me and it was only about a 1/4 of an inch so now when I set the showerbase down it doesn't rock. I put a fourth 2x4 down so I could caulk a square and that I didn't have the stuff running out of my frame then later took it off. I have pictures if you want. It says it can level up to 1 inch. not so sure how large your area is. Cost me $27.00 for a 50 lb. bag and I used half of it, 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket for the 1/4 inch. My showerbase is 32x48. Hope this helps.
What is the name of the self leveling concrete...and where did you buy it? I have a similar problem I am dealing wiht.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!