We're starting to remodel our exposed basement. Originally we put in an extra garage door with slanted cement flooring to drain away. Well, now we intend to take out the garage door and put in an atrium/french door to let in more light. How do we level the existing floor? Do we pour concrete over concrete or build a wood subflooring? Thanks for any ideas!
I am putting in a new bathroom in the basement and where the rough in was placed it wasn't quit level. I could take a 2x4 or my 4ft level and it would rock. what I found out was that theymake leveling cement which pours like a really thin milkshake and finds it's own level. Worked great for me and it was only about a 1/4 of an inch so now when I set the showerbase down it doesn't rock. I put a fourth 2x4 down so I could caulk a square and that I didn't have the stuff running out of my frame then later took it off. I have pictures if you want. It says it can level up to 1 inch. not so sure how large your area is. Cost me $27.00 for a 50 lb. bag and I used half of it, 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket for the 1/4 inch. My showerbase is 32x48. Hope this helps.
What is the name of the self leveling concrete...and where did you buy it? I have a similar problem I am dealing wiht.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers