sump pump holes
When i looked at the drywall there was no visible damage or sign that this was a common problem.So a friend was telling me that the underground drain around the house has to breath and the sump pump cap should be off at all times unless u get a large and unusualy heavy rain fall.
Could someone please tell me if i should leave it of till then or is this just asking for trouble.
Thank you for your response.
Now, perimeter drains do, indeed, get clogged if not designed and installed properly, or maintained from time to time. Fine particles from surrounding soils and tree roots from nearby trees can be cause for clogs. That would have little to do with your sump pump cap.
When installing any perimeter or foundation drain, one should try to provide a "clean-out" after every 2 pipe bends. The "clean-out" is basically a vertical riser from the drain line up to grade with a "wye" connection at the drain pipe, into which a snake or other cleaning mechanism can be introduced to rout out the roots or other debris.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees