If I were you, I would avoid this approach at all costs. It is possible to build a system of main runners, cross tees and wall angles to box in duct work, but it is usually more trouble than its worth. (it is very difficult to get the panels in the tight quarters, and to keep the vertical panels in place) I have done it many times myself, but it usually works best in commercial applications with higher ceilings. It will not look very nice, usually, in a residential environment. Plus, there is really no support for the grid system around the ducts as there is no place to attach your hanger wire.
Usually, I will frame ductwork with 2x4's or similar, and finish with drywall. That way, you can butt your suspended ceiling wall angles to the framing and drywall. Sometimes ceiling height is an issue in basements, however. If you do elect to box in the ducts with suspended ceiling components, you need to be fairly handy with a rivet gun. If you would like detailed instructions, please feel free to e-mail me, and I will send them along.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!