I have heard that I am able to nail dry wall in to the framing which in build around the top half of my basement walls and then glue the dry directly to the cement walls the rest of the way down. Has anyone heard of this? What adhesive would I use? Thanks
I like to use the 2" metal studs all around the basement and then attach the drywall to that with screws. By using studs, you are able to add insulation to the walls to make it more comfortable and energy efficient. If you use adhesive and attach the drywall directly to the concrete walls, you have no control over how straight the walls are. If the concrete is not straight, your wall will not be straight.
Oh, I forgot to tell you what kind of adhesive to use if you do glue to the concrete. You can use a drywall and panel adhesive that you can get at Home Depot, ***** , etc. I use PL100 but there are probably other brands that will work well. It comes in the large tube that is used in the large calk gun.
I do not recommend applying the drywall directly to the foundation walls. You are only asking for more problems down the road from moisture wicking into the drywall and causing all kinds of bad things to happen, including possible mold and mildew growth as well as weakening of the drywall itself, water spots, paint problems, etc.
Fur out or frame the walls first and use a vapor barrier between the drywall and the framing.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 11 Homemade Sheds to Fill Your Storage Needs
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight