My 9 years old house in Connecticut which is south facing, has a continuous roof vent,soffit vents,ceiling insulation and one west facing gable end vent is bloody hot. The temperature in the attic gets up to 130 degrees and the heat radiates down through the ceiling. Other than painting the roof white, does anyone have any suggestions? Possible thoughts are to install another gable end vent at the other on of the house and/or to install a gable mount extractor fan.
Any help will be appreciated.
Ridge vents are fine, but my experience is that they hardly take the place of the traditional gable vents, and work best in tendem with them. You should, at the very least, have a vent through the wall at each end of the house in the attic. If not, try that first without the added expense of the fan. You can always add that later.
i agree you need a gable vent at both ends the bigger the better. provided it does not compromise rain and snow protection. if this is not an option add a fan. our attic was ok but not exctly were i wanted it added and blower and it amaised me the difference. it was as cool up there as it was outside. make shore you get one with a good thermostat and conncect to a circuit that is not heavily used.
moisture in attic
How to improve ventilation in attic
Attic insulation in Southern Louisana rigid reflecti...
How many vents is too many?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Stay Bite-Free with 8 High-Tech Bug Zappers
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Perk Up Your Garden with 10 New Perennials
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools