My 9 years old house in Connecticut which is south facing, has a continuous roof vent,soffit vents,ceiling insulation and one west facing gable end vent is bloody hot. The temperature in the attic gets up to 130 degrees and the heat radiates down through the ceiling. Other than painting the roof white, does anyone have any suggestions? Possible thoughts are to install another gable end vent at the other on of the house and/or to install a gable mount extractor fan.
Any help will be appreciated.
Ridge vents are fine, but my experience is that they hardly take the place of the traditional gable vents, and work best in tendem with them. You should, at the very least, have a vent through the wall at each end of the house in the attic. If not, try that first without the added expense of the fan. You can always add that later.
i agree you need a gable vent at both ends the bigger the better. provided it does not compromise rain and snow protection. if this is not an option add a fan. our attic was ok but not exctly were i wanted it added and blower and it amaised me the difference. it was as cool up there as it was outside. make shore you get one with a good thermostat and conncect to a circuit that is not heavily used.
moisture in attic
How to improve ventilation in attic
Attic insulation in Southern Louisana rigid reflecti...
How many vents is too many?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda