My 9 years old house in Connecticut which is south facing, has a continuous roof vent,soffit vents,ceiling insulation and one west facing gable end vent is bloody hot. The temperature in the attic gets up to 130 degrees and the heat radiates down through the ceiling. Other than painting the roof white, does anyone have any suggestions? Possible thoughts are to install another gable end vent at the other on of the house and/or to install a gable mount extractor fan.
Any help will be appreciated.
Ridge vents are fine, but my experience is that they hardly take the place of the traditional gable vents, and work best in tendem with them. You should, at the very least, have a vent through the wall at each end of the house in the attic. If not, try that first without the added expense of the fan. You can always add that later.
i agree you need a gable vent at both ends the bigger the better. provided it does not compromise rain and snow protection. if this is not an option add a fan. our attic was ok but not exctly were i wanted it added and blower and it amaised me the difference. it was as cool up there as it was outside. make shore you get one with a good thermostat and conncect to a circuit that is not heavily used.
moisture in attic
How to improve ventilation in attic
Attic insulation in Southern Louisana rigid reflecti...
How many vents is too many?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Ways to Use Leather in Your Next Project
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates