My 9 years old house in Connecticut which is south facing, has a continuous roof vent,soffit vents,ceiling insulation and one west facing gable end vent is bloody hot. The temperature in the attic gets up to 130 degrees and the heat radiates down through the ceiling. Other than painting the roof white, does anyone have any suggestions? Possible thoughts are to install another gable end vent at the other on of the house and/or to install a gable mount extractor fan.
Any help will be appreciated.
Ridge vents are fine, but my experience is that they hardly take the place of the traditional gable vents, and work best in tendem with them. You should, at the very least, have a vent through the wall at each end of the house in the attic. If not, try that first without the added expense of the fan. You can always add that later.
i agree you need a gable vent at both ends the bigger the better. provided it does not compromise rain and snow protection. if this is not an option add a fan. our attic was ok but not exctly were i wanted it added and blower and it amaised me the difference. it was as cool up there as it was outside. make shore you get one with a good thermostat and conncect to a circuit that is not heavily used.
moisture in attic
How to improve ventilation in attic
Attic insulation in Southern Louisana rigid reflecti...
How many vents is too many?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!