I have new construction with a move in date in 6 weeks. I built my dream wine cellar, and am now having "water droplets" form on the wine cellar sode of the steel roof. I am planning to drywall the inside but am afraid I will get mold and mildew on the ceiling. I am going to try to describe my situation. I am thinking that air flow will solve the problem--but I need your help!
The wine cellar is bunkered. By that I mean it is on the North elevation with with a walkout basement. The ceiling of the wine cellar is constructed of corrugated steel, 8" steel I beams, a rubber membrane and 4" on concrete and also acts as a floor for the covered lanai above. All but 4' of the exterior walls of the cellar are "bunkered" or are common walls for the interior basement. The exterior wall has an 8' patio attached to it. I have about 10" of ceiling space to insulate with R-30 and ventilate.
As the furnace heated the house up, warm air flowed into the 40 degree wine cellar and deposited water droplets onto the steel ceiling. I only have a 4' section of exterior wall space exposed to the elements. Ideally, I would like to create a passive cellar with the temperature below 60 degrees. I am thinking that a power vent with humidity control would solve the problem. My air space would be 10' by 24' by 2-3" high, leaving the rest of the space to insulate.
Can you help!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes