I am currently looking to buy a house that fits my price range. The only problem with the house is the basement. It has a dirt floor. The foundation walls have a couple of cracks and the dirt feels a little damp. Would this be a bigger problem than it is worth. We would like to put a cement floor in and fix the foundation problem. Everything else on the house has been redone. The oldest thing to the house is the roof ( besides the basement). Around the basement walls the dirt looks like it is loose. Any suggestions?
can`t honestly answer your quest`s.
i mean, sure you can put in a concrete floor and sure, the cracks can be fixed. How much depends on several things.
with a dirt floor comes more of a chance(i`m not saying there is)of high radon levels so, i`d have a radon test done.
putting a floor in shouldn`t be a big deal, if thats what your after. Can others problems arise during/after floor is in? Yes, Not likely but possible.
Could other cracks occur in wall(s) down the road? Yes, possible, again its not likely but does indeed happen to some.
Hopefully, 1 or more bsmt walls are Not bowing in. Maybe get some estimates on roof, having floor put in,fixing the cracks correctly etc etc,add it up.Can ya fit it all in to yer budget and still have x amount left for other potential problems that may occur? Carefully read any-all guarantees.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs