We have a 3100 sq. foot tri-level home with only 1-1/2 baths 2 adults and 4 children. Help us. The lower level of the house is approximately 600 sq ft. and is a bedroom, office area and mechanical room. We would like to change the office to a bathroom (standup shower, vanity and toilet)for our two oldest daughters. This area shares the support wall of the basement and the other side is the mechanical room. Currently there isn't plumbing in the basement, however all the drains from the upstairs bathroom are exposed in the mechanical room ceiling. We will be sub-contracting this work, but want to be educated somewhat on what options we have in adding this bathroom. Our budget is $5000.00. I have heard we could use a lift station and that our floor will need to be cut? Anything you can give us is better than going into this project blind. Thanks.....
This is a bigger project than it seems. If the plumbing is not correct, issues will haunt you. Your first step should be to call a plumber with experience doing this type of work. You should call a few plumbers and get quotes and to get a feel for the direction of the project. Due to your plumbing restrictions, I would assume your bathroom will be designed around the plumbing.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!