Hello - I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on my concerns. The house is a c.1932 bungalow style located in Denver, CO, which, as you may know, is generally a very dry climate but this summer has brought very frequent rain. After someone found some mold (later tested and found to be in a safe range and not a health concern), I had someone remove several feet of drywall from floor up and bring in industrial power dehumidifiers. This is a finished basement and after several days of industrial dehumidification, the foundation generally read between 12% to over 22% with a moisture meter on both north and south sides of the house. Foundation is limestone. Never any noticable water in basement but the interior foundation walls efflorescence is noticeable when you brush your hand on it - however, there are no noticable foundation issues of a structural nature at this point. I was told that due to water inflitration, that I would need to excavate 8' deep x 4' wide around front and two sides of house (removing concrete in the process) to have waterproofing fancy plastic type material affixed to the foundation which is extremely expensive given the excavation involved and removal and replacement of approx. 400 sq.ft. concrete. Other items to note: (i) 1 year ago had broken sprinklers on north side of house which did lead to virtually constant puddles for month (north side house only), (ii) clothes were dried in basement until several months ago and (iii) no exhaust fan in upstairs bathroom. I have fixed items (i) and (ii) and will work on (iii) if necessary, but could these account for the foundational water inflitration or is there another method to deal with the moisture readings OR is it not necessary to do any serious work (I'm fine sealing very small openings between concrete and side of house) given that this precipitation is not normal and this foundation has worked just fine for this house for about 70 years? I greatly appreciate any thoughts or advise that you may have. Thanks!
Mold, and Buckling Foundation
Exterior waterproofing with stone foundation and gra...
Basement Waterproofing-Foundation Failure
Crawlspace moisture/problems - please help!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight