Kithen was extended before I bought house. Basement made of cinderblock walls. The back of the kitchen (sink) is extended over the cinderblock. Every year the pipes freeze and the kitchen floor is freezing. The space cut into the cinderblock in the basement for the pipes is about 3x2" but full of pipes. The pipes go back and up to the sink. I can't get to them to wrap them. What do I do?
I'm with Piffin, if you use heat tape for as far as you can reach and then spray foam in there to seal it up the rest of the way I would think the heat would rise up the pipe solving your problem. If you go this route they sell an outlet that turns on and off when the temps go above or below a certain temp.
If temps are expected to be real cold let faucets drip, very little, overnight. This will keep the water moving and I've never heard of a pipe freezing while doing this.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?