Kithen was extended before I bought house. Basement made of cinderblock walls. The back of the kitchen (sink) is extended over the cinderblock. Every year the pipes freeze and the kitchen floor is freezing. The space cut into the cinderblock in the basement for the pipes is about 3x2" but full of pipes. The pipes go back and up to the sink. I can't get to them to wrap them. What do I do?
I'm with Piffin, if you use heat tape for as far as you can reach and then spray foam in there to seal it up the rest of the way I would think the heat would rise up the pipe solving your problem. If you go this route they sell an outlet that turns on and off when the temps go above or below a certain temp.
If temps are expected to be real cold let faucets drip, very little, overnight. This will keep the water moving and I've never heard of a pipe freezing while doing this.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Weekend Projects: DIY Thanksgiving Decor
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Forgiving Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- Bob Vila's Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- 10 Quick Fixes for a More Refreshing Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!