I have a small ranch with an underneath garage. I recently discovered a leak inside the garage ceiling directly under the upstairs bathroom. The ceiling was opened up, and the broken pipe was repaired. Now the entire plaster ceiling must be taken down to get rid of the resulting mold. Before a new ceiling is installed, is there any reason I should put insulation there? I just don't want to miss an opportunity if it's a smart thing to do. The garage is heated with a forced-hot-water radiator. Thanks.
If you insulated the garage ceiling you could set the garage thermostat lower or off (be careful of letting radiator water freeze). Save energy while keeping the bedroom floor warm. The payback period would probably be pretty long though.
Use a product called THE BARRIER it is a vapor and moisture barrier as well as a thermal break. It is 3/8" thick EPS with a 3-mill poly-vinyl laminated on both sides. It comes on a roll and can be cut with scissors. To install you can staple the material up or use screws or washers to hang. E- mail any Questions or to get free samples go to Microfoil.com or E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!