We're building a "carriage" home in a new development. It's basically a twin home with a full basement; we have another home adjoining ours.
We have an "energy efficient upgrade" option that we're trying to decide.
It would upgrade the R-13 insulation to R-15 at the side walls and the R-30 to R-38 at flat ceiling areas. It is a $1800 option, we live in NJ, and our house will be heated with gas.
I looked at some charts regarding insulation on the internet & any other insight/opinion would be appreciated. Also, would the upgraded insulation add any value toward a better sound barrier for our adjoining neighbor? Thanks!
New Construction Sealing Basement Block Walls DIY
Replacement vs. New Construction Windows
Milgard, Anlin, Simonton, or Brothers for window and...
foam spray in large containers
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs