I have an odd situation. I have a house built in 1958 with SOLID exterior wood walls. Yes, solid! No air space, no insulation. It was built by a company in the Upper Peninsula (Michigan). Thankfully, I don't think the idea stuck. The exterior walls consist of three 1x's laminated together, to form a wall which is only 2 1/4" thick (3/4 inch for each 1x). The R-value is around 2 1/2 to 3, at most, according to what I've read on the internet about solid wood R-value. I'm considering adding 2" of rigid foam insulation and installing new windows in the entire house. Polyisocyanurate seems to have the highest R-value...about R-14 for 2" from what I've read on several websites. This would bring my exterior wall R-value up to near code (R-19) for my area. My questions are related to the installation of this insulation:
1. What do I do for moisture barriers, if anything?
2. Do I tape the joints, or glue them somehow?
3. Should I put a layer of 1/2" OSB sheathing over the insulation so I have a nailer for the siding?
4. Do I put Tyvec housewrap over the whole thing before I install new vinyl siding?
5. If I bring the house out 2 to 2 1/2 inches further, will it look strange to have the foundation recessed that far, or should I bring the foam insulation all the way down below grade a couple feet?
Many questions...searching for answers. Thank you!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight