I have an odd situation. I have a house built in 1958 with SOLID exterior wood walls. Yes, solid! No air space, no insulation. It was built by a company in the Upper Peninsula (Michigan). Thankfully, I don't think the idea stuck. The exterior walls consist of three 1x's laminated together, to form a wall which is only 2 1/4" thick (3/4 inch for each 1x). The R-value is around 2 1/2 to 3, at most, according to what I've read on the internet about solid wood R-value. I'm considering adding 2" of rigid foam insulation and installing new windows in the entire house. Polyisocyanurate seems to have the highest R-value...about R-14 for 2" from what I've read on several websites. This would bring my exterior wall R-value up to near code (R-19) for my area. My questions are related to the installation of this insulation:
1. What do I do for moisture barriers, if anything?
2. Do I tape the joints, or glue them somehow?
3. Should I put a layer of 1/2" OSB sheathing over the insulation so I have a nailer for the siding?
4. Do I put Tyvec housewrap over the whole thing before I install new vinyl siding?
5. If I bring the house out 2 to 2 1/2 inches further, will it look strange to have the foundation recessed that far, or should I bring the foam insulation all the way down below grade a couple feet?
Many questions...searching for answers. Thank you!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps