Hoping that maybe someone can help me out. I plan on installing new french doors and my rough opening is 11'6 1/2". My plan is to install two seperate units, a 6'0" and a 5'4". I would like to install a 2x4" between the two and attach it to the header above and bottom plate. I would then use the 2x4 to attach one side of each of the french doors to it to secure that side. I know that a 4x4 between the two would probably be more solid unfortunately I do not have enough width in my rough opening. Please let me know if this would be solid enough and work.
I plan to attach it using an appropriate bracket/hanger. I will probably use redwood unless I can find a piece of oak that is 2" thick.
Talk to it, wee wee. Just kidding, Have you thought about joining the 2 units together instead? That way you would just need to fill in one side of the opening and not have to worry about the center of it. Of course that does depend on how the frame has been installed on the doors, if they have nailing flanges like the crestlines, I dont think it would work.
They have a flange or you can screw through the side/jambs to attach it to framing. That way would possibly work however since it is such a wide opening, I want to make it as solid as possible. I have pretty much decided to put a full 2x4 or thicker between the two units and attache the doors to it.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!