Hoping that maybe someone can help me out. I plan on installing new french doors and my rough opening is 11'6 1/2". My plan is to install two seperate units, a 6'0" and a 5'4". I would like to install a 2x4" between the two and attach it to the header above and bottom plate. I would then use the 2x4 to attach one side of each of the french doors to it to secure that side. I know that a 4x4 between the two would probably be more solid unfortunately I do not have enough width in my rough opening. Please let me know if this would be solid enough and work.
I plan to attach it using an appropriate bracket/hanger. I will probably use redwood unless I can find a piece of oak that is 2" thick.
Talk to it, wee wee. Just kidding, Have you thought about joining the 2 units together instead? That way you would just need to fill in one side of the opening and not have to worry about the center of it. Of course that does depend on how the frame has been installed on the doors, if they have nailing flanges like the crestlines, I dont think it would work.
They have a flange or you can screw through the side/jambs to attach it to framing. That way would possibly work however since it is such a wide opening, I want to make it as solid as possible. I have pretty much decided to put a full 2x4 or thicker between the two units and attache the doors to it.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes