Hoping that maybe someone can help me out. I plan on installing new french doors and my rough opening is 11'6 1/2". My plan is to install two seperate units, a 6'0" and a 5'4". I would like to install a 2x4" between the two and attach it to the header above and bottom plate. I would then use the 2x4 to attach one side of each of the french doors to it to secure that side. I know that a 4x4 between the two would probably be more solid unfortunately I do not have enough width in my rough opening. Please let me know if this would be solid enough and work.
I plan to attach it using an appropriate bracket/hanger. I will probably use redwood unless I can find a piece of oak that is 2" thick.
Talk to it, wee wee. Just kidding, Have you thought about joining the 2 units together instead? That way you would just need to fill in one side of the opening and not have to worry about the center of it. Of course that does depend on how the frame has been installed on the doors, if they have nailing flanges like the crestlines, I dont think it would work.
They have a flange or you can screw through the side/jambs to attach it to framing. That way would possibly work however since it is such a wide opening, I want to make it as solid as possible. I have pretty much decided to put a full 2x4 or thicker between the two units and attache the doors to it.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers