Hoping that maybe someone can help me out. I plan on installing new french doors and my rough opening is 11'6 1/2". My plan is to install two seperate units, a 6'0" and a 5'4". I would like to install a 2x4" between the two and attach it to the header above and bottom plate. I would then use the 2x4 to attach one side of each of the french doors to it to secure that side. I know that a 4x4 between the two would probably be more solid unfortunately I do not have enough width in my rough opening. Please let me know if this would be solid enough and work.
I plan to attach it using an appropriate bracket/hanger. I will probably use redwood unless I can find a piece of oak that is 2" thick.
Talk to it, wee wee. Just kidding, Have you thought about joining the 2 units together instead? That way you would just need to fill in one side of the opening and not have to worry about the center of it. Of course that does depend on how the frame has been installed on the doors, if they have nailing flanges like the crestlines, I dont think it would work.
They have a flange or you can screw through the side/jambs to attach it to framing. That way would possibly work however since it is such a wide opening, I want to make it as solid as possible. I have pretty much decided to put a full 2x4 or thicker between the two units and attache the doors to it.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Weekend Projects: DIY Thanksgiving Decor
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Forgiving Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- Bob Vila's Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- 10 Quick Fixes for a More Refreshing Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!