I have an Allister ARD 11A garage door opener, about '88 or '89(?) vintage that works sporadically. In fact, it doesn't work more than it works. But basically, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It may open, then not close, or it may work a few times, then not work, etc.
There is both a remote and a wall switch to activate the door. The problem has nothing to do with the remote, as when the door does not work, it won't work either way.
I spent awhile playing with it today, and found a few things out.
There are 3 relays on the unit, and when I manually activate them by pushing on them, they work fine. I can push one, and the door goes up. I push another the door goes down. The third is for the light. So, the relays are fine.
When it does not work, the appropriate relay is not getting activated.
The door moves freely up and down - there is no binding.
Maybe I'm on drugs, but it seems like it barely works in the summer with hot, humid weather.
What can make the door work so sporadically?
Having the door work has become more important lately because I just got a new convertible that is going to displace all the sports equipment that is in the garage now. ;-)
You have narrowed it to the low voltage wiring. Check for loose connections on the terminal screws where the push button and the remote control are connected. Make sure they are tight. If no change, then disconnect either the remotes or the buttons and try to see if the problem goes away. If no change then check for voltage at the relay when it should be energized, it should probably be 24 volts.
Does your opener have electric eyes at the bottom to detect if something or someone is about to get crushed? If not , then you should consider replacing it with one that does.
Nope, no electric eye and I don't want it - just another thing to go wrong. The unit is around 1990 vintage when an electric eye wasn't required. If the door hits something, it simply reverses direction.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects