I have an Allister ARD 11A garage door opener, about '88 or '89(?) vintage that works sporadically. In fact, it doesn't work more than it works. But basically, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It may open, then not close, or it may work a few times, then not work, etc.
There is both a remote and a wall switch to activate the door. The problem has nothing to do with the remote, as when the door does not work, it won't work either way.
I spent awhile playing with it today, and found a few things out.
There are 3 relays on the unit, and when I manually activate them by pushing on them, they work fine. I can push one, and the door goes up. I push another the door goes down. The third is for the light. So, the relays are fine.
When it does not work, the appropriate relay is not getting activated.
The door moves freely up and down - there is no binding.
Maybe I'm on drugs, but it seems like it barely works in the summer with hot, humid weather.
What can make the door work so sporadically?
Having the door work has become more important lately because I just got a new convertible that is going to displace all the sports equipment that is in the garage now. ;-)
You have narrowed it to the low voltage wiring. Check for loose connections on the terminal screws where the push button and the remote control are connected. Make sure they are tight. If no change, then disconnect either the remotes or the buttons and try to see if the problem goes away. If no change then check for voltage at the relay when it should be energized, it should probably be 24 volts.
Does your opener have electric eyes at the bottom to detect if something or someone is about to get crushed? If not , then you should consider replacing it with one that does.
Nope, no electric eye and I don't want it - just another thing to go wrong. The unit is around 1990 vintage when an electric eye wasn't required. If the door hits something, it simply reverses direction.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes