Hi. I'm wondering if I have done anything wrong in dealing with contractors.
I have a house I want to knock down and rebuild. I am talking to two contractors about it. Neither of them knows I'm talking to the other.
Each contractor has come up with a design for the new house, i.e. a computer drawing of where the rooms will be on each floor. I've gone through a few iterations with each contractor on their design.
Neither contractor has asked me to sign or commit to anything. Yet they have spent several hours working on these designs and meeting with me. At some point, I'm going to have to tell one of them "thanks, but I'm going to use someone else."
Will that contractor have good reason to be annoyed with me, or is this standard procedure (drawing up a house design on spec, with no guarantee of getting the job)?
Hmm a tricky situation - of course you are right to shop around but you have to be considerate of the work that has been put in. Have you got explicit reassurance from the contractors that the current work all falls under the heading of a 'free quote'? In my experience whenever you're in the stage of planning a project and selecting contractors, it's actually beneficial to tell them that you are still considering your options. It can sometimes result in them giving you a more competitive quote.
Contractor Discount vs. DYI - Oak Trim
Victim of contractor fraud, Mount Vernon, Wa 98274
Malibu Remodel contractor
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs