Hi. I'm wondering if I have done anything wrong in dealing with contractors.
I have a house I want to knock down and rebuild. I am talking to two contractors about it. Neither of them knows I'm talking to the other.
Each contractor has come up with a design for the new house, i.e. a computer drawing of where the rooms will be on each floor. I've gone through a few iterations with each contractor on their design.
Neither contractor has asked me to sign or commit to anything. Yet they have spent several hours working on these designs and meeting with me. At some point, I'm going to have to tell one of them "thanks, but I'm going to use someone else."
Will that contractor have good reason to be annoyed with me, or is this standard procedure (drawing up a house design on spec, with no guarantee of getting the job)?
Hmm a tricky situation - of course you are right to shop around but you have to be considerate of the work that has been put in. Have you got explicit reassurance from the contractors that the current work all falls under the heading of a 'free quote'? In my experience whenever you're in the stage of planning a project and selecting contractors, it's actually beneficial to tell them that you are still considering your options. It can sometimes result in them giving you a more competitive quote.
Contractor Discount vs. DYI - Oak Trim
Victim of contractor fraud, Mount Vernon, Wa 98274
Malibu Remodel contractor
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Plant Containers to Make with Everyday Items
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Easy Ways to Revitalize Outdoor Furniture
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda