I have a new townhouse in Irving TX and I have hard water. I am planning to install a water softener and would love some advice. The Culligan quote is $3100 for equipment and installation with lifetime warranty. There are only two of us in the house, is there a less expensive option that works equally well? And how long could I expect a system like Kenmore or another that does not have a lifetime warranty to last?
The price seems to be somewhat on the high side but you may have selected a more expensive model. I have had a Culligan Mark 89 water softener in my house for 13 years with only very minor issues. I looked into replacing it a couple of years with a newer model (Medalist Series) and the estimate was $2000. It may been that low because I would have been a repeat customer and the plumbing is already in place. Regardless, if your water is hard, I recommend you have a water softener. Soft water is far better for showering and will preserve the working of the dishwasher, washing machine and faucets. Hard water mineral deposits are very destructive. Some higher end dishwashers have built in softeners but I don't know if you have that. You should ring out who makes a Sears Kenmore water softener if that is significantly less. But overall, I am happy with the Culligan and will put one in my town home that we are now building.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!