My wife and I recently filed a claim for damages to our roof and siding, so we have a limited amount to work with. My brother-in-law works for a very reputable roofing/siding company in the NW suburbs of Chicago. He recommended that we replace our current aluminum siding with a Craneboard insulated vinyl product, due to how much quieter it will make the home, and how much stronger it is than a traditional vinyl siding product. They will also be rewrapping the home with Tyvek.
However, after reading varied reviews online, I have a concern about if there are any moisture problems with this product due to the foam backing essentially being flush with the sheathing. Our home is in the Chicago area, which receives a decent amount of precipitation and variable temps.
I know that there is a lot of "bias" when it comes to siding, and lots of preference - so I don't want to start a "holy war" of why Hardie board or wood is better, etc. - but just wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of siding and can speak to my concern at all. The siding does have "channels" along the back advertised as a "moisture management system" which in theory should allow water to drain out.
It is also advertised to not absorb moisture and allows the house to "breathe". In other forums I have read however, people have likened this siding to "installing a giant sponge against your home" and claim that the foam does absorb moisture and will rot your sheathing out over time.
I'm a little confused at how this product could be popular at all if it retains moisture and has the potential to rot your home away. Any input would be much appreciated!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees