My wife and I recently filed a claim for damages to our roof and siding, so we have a limited amount to work with. My brother-in-law works for a very reputable roofing/siding company in the NW suburbs of Chicago. He recommended that we replace our current aluminum siding with a Craneboard insulated vinyl product, due to how much quieter it will make the home, and how much stronger it is than a traditional vinyl siding product. They will also be rewrapping the home with Tyvek.
However, after reading varied reviews online, I have a concern about if there are any moisture problems with this product due to the foam backing essentially being flush with the sheathing. Our home is in the Chicago area, which receives a decent amount of precipitation and variable temps.
I know that there is a lot of "bias" when it comes to siding, and lots of preference - so I don't want to start a "holy war" of why Hardie board or wood is better, etc. - but just wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of siding and can speak to my concern at all. The siding does have "channels" along the back advertised as a "moisture management system" which in theory should allow water to drain out.
It is also advertised to not absorb moisture and allows the house to "breathe". In other forums I have read however, people have likened this siding to "installing a giant sponge against your home" and claim that the foam does absorb moisture and will rot your sheathing out over time.
I'm a little confused at how this product could be popular at all if it retains moisture and has the potential to rot your home away. Any input would be much appreciated!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes