purchased for a new home in 1992. They were solid wood with vinyl clad outsides. We had no frosting or difficulty in the use of these windows. they work very well. They have great insulating properties. I live in the south and have had no rotting or leakage.
I don't think they made a vinyl clad. Probably Andersen. Seems like they work well though whatever the brand is.
For older houses, wooden windows looks classy. Along with outside vinyl cladding it might get some of benefits of vinyl as well for better energy efficiency. Vinyl replacement windows ( windowchoice.ca/window-tips/why-do-most-homeowners-prefer-vinyl-windows ) are said to have better energy efficiency and durability than wooden windows. But looks won’t be as good for older homes as wooden windows. And you can’t say all company windows are same quality. Manufacturing quality affects energy efficiency and durability of the windows.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes