purchased for a new home in 1992. They were solid wood with vinyl clad outsides. We had no frosting or difficulty in the use of these windows. they work very well. They have great insulating properties. I live in the south and have had no rotting or leakage.
I don't think they made a vinyl clad. Probably Andersen. Seems like they work well though whatever the brand is.
For older houses, wooden windows looks classy. Along with outside vinyl cladding it might get some of benefits of vinyl as well for better energy efficiency. Vinyl replacement windows ( windowchoice.ca/window-tips/why-do-most-homeowners-prefer-vinyl-windows ) are said to have better energy efficiency and durability than wooden windows. But looks won’t be as good for older homes as wooden windows. And you can’t say all company windows are same quality. Manufacturing quality affects energy efficiency and durability of the windows.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!